The curfew in South Africa has been lifted as the Omicron peak subsides.

Curfew in South Africa

As COVID-19 cases spread worldwide, South Africa reports its Omicron-driven fourth wave has peaked.
South Africa has lifted its midnight curfew, claiming that the peak of its fourth COVID-19 wave, caused by the highly contagious Omicron variant, has passed.
A minister in the South African presidency said that the country made the changes based on the pandemic’s trajectory, vaccination levels, and available capacity in the health sector.
Meanwhile, Israel’s top health official has approved a second coronavirus booster shot for people with compromised immune systems, with a final decision on wider distribution still pending.
According to Reuters, the number of daily new COVID-19 cases has surpassed one million for the first time since infections were first recorded two years ago. COVID-19 was declared a pandemic by the World Health Organization in March 2020.
In the United States, new infections have reached an all-time high, owing primarily to Omicron.
Quebec, Canada, has imposed a curfew.
As coronavirus infections continue to rise, Canada’s second-most populous province has announced a nighttime curfew.
On Friday, Quebec Premier Francois Legault announced that a curfew from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. local time would go into effect on New Year’s Eve.
Restaurants will also be prohibited from offering in-person dining, most private gatherings will be prohibited, and all indoor sports activities will be suspended, among other measures.
“Our experts say there’s a chance we won’t be able to treat everyone who needs it in the coming weeks.” “I know we’re all tired, but it’s my responsibility to protect [us] from this,” Legault said at a press conference.
The mayor of New York has stated that the Times Square show will continue.
Despite record numbers of COVID-19 infections in the city, state, and across the country, New York City will ring in 2022 in Times Square as planned, Mayor Bill de Blasio said on Thursday.
“We want to show that we’re moving forward, and we want to show the world that New York City is fighting our way through this,” de Blasio said on NBC’s “Today” show on Friday.
Following a year-long ban on revelers in Times Square due to the pandemic, city officials previously announced plans for a scaled-back New Year’s Eve celebration with smaller crowds and vaccinations required.

deccannews

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *